Paying for Study Abroad

Don’t be scared about paying for studying abroad. There is a little more to it then paying for a traditional semester at Illinois, but not much. We’re here to help make it as simple as possible.

There are two groups of costs when it comes to studying abroad: billable and non-billable.

Billable Costs

Billable costs are billed to your Illinois Student Account and include

  • Study abroad application fee
  • International Programs in Engineering (IPENG) program and administrative fees
  • University of Illinois tuition and applicable fees
  • International Insurance and Safety Fee. For complete details, refer to the budget sheet for the program you are interested in and/or the Program Fee Contract for the program you are participating in.

Non-Billable Costs

Non-billable costs are paid by you directly and are not billed to your Student Account. In other words, you will need to make payment for these costs directly to the entity that billed you. These cost items could include some of the following:

  • Costs billed directly to you by your program provider or host university (e.g., host university or provider instruction and fees)
  • Accommodation
  • Meals
  • Books and supplies
  • Round-trip flight
  • Local transportation
  • Passport, visa application, and supporting documents, e.g., photos
  • Immunizations
  • Additional personal expenses

Please note that you may need to pay for many of these charges in advance, while others may be due upon arrival. If you are relying on financial aid or scholarships to pay for these items, you will need to use other sources of funds before your financial aid and/or scholarships is/are credited to your Illinois Student Account.

Illinois Student Account E-Bills

When you study abroad, you will continue to receive E-Bills from Illinois at the beginning of each month. Payment procedures for study abroad charges on your Illinois Student Account are the same as when you study on campus.

Because of FERPA regulations, the IPENG Office cannot release any information concerning your account to anyone other than you without your permission. If another individual is responsible for paying your Student Account, PLEASE AUTHORIZE THE PAYING PARTY TO ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT by completing the Release Account Information questionnaire in your study abroad program application. Please use this form to designate the individual(s) who will be in charge of your financial matters while you are abroad.  You should also set this individual up as an Authorized Payer on your Student Account.

CookieSettings CookieSettings